Thursday 23 February 2012

If I were a boss


"I am what I am because of who we all are"
If I were a boss I would mingle with my employees under the concept of 'Ubuntu'. Ubuntu is a classical African word meaning humanity to others. This concept is perhaps inspirational. Ubuntu is respect, helpfulness, sharing, caring, Trust and unselfishness. This concept would express me as a leader who has compassion, reciprocity, dignity, humanity, and mutuality in the interest of building and maintaining a company and caring.

It is true that every decision I take may affect employees, and should take those consequences into account when making decisions. However, I may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour and poor manners. I might experience some frustration now and then, but I cannot let frustrations turn into battles. It is also important that as a boss, I know that a company where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.

However, of course, not all people share this moral outlook, nor believe that ethics require such supererogatory acts. There is also a believe that ubuntu suffers from illusion of animism. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not address themselves. It is also true that the more you practise ubuntu with our African people the more they take you for granted.

Moreover, if I were a boss I would be available to my employees, affirming them, also not felling threatened that others are able and good. Indeed I am what I am because of who we all are.

2 comments: